Sunday, April 29, 2012

Am I runner?

A few months ago I had this idea....Maybe I could start running. Well I have to say that surprised everyone who knows me that I would start running. Growing up I played sports including softball and basketball and one season of water polo in high school, but never liked running. I was that girl in PE that looked for ways to get out of the running days when they would time your mile or half mile for passing the class. So who was this girl now thinking, at almost 30 years old, that SHE could be a runner.

Well there are a couple people in my life now who used to run and encouraged this decision. One is my amazing fiance John, who ran in school and was really into it till a few years ago. And my friend Tony at work who also ran back in school and had started back up about 6 months ago. When I would talk to them about how I wanted to loose weight for the upcoming wedding, both told me the cheapest and most effective way to hit my goal was to run. Ugh...run?

I started off doing some research on running and deciding if it was really for me. But really...who isn't it for. Running is one of the best full body workouts you can do. However, I was full of excuses.... I don't like to run, my feet hurt after wearing heels all day, I don't know how to breath right, it's boring, and that it's too hot to run. None of those worked for Tony. He and I talked about them at lunch and he had a solution of all of them. DAMN HIM! Finally I decided I would try it, but not by myself. Oh no, I am way to co dependant to try to run on my own. HA

So I talked Tony into running with me after work on the days John worked and then I would run with John on his days off. It sounded great and like I would just become this runner automatically. Reality Check! That's not how it happens. It takes time and consistency...which my impatience doesn't do well with.

It's taken me about 3 months of talking myself into thinking thinking I can be a runner and figuring out that I can't really talk myself into it...I HAVE to just do it! So now I have set a goal to run a 5K this fall and decided to start being serious and start training. Tomorrow I start with a 4 day a week run schedule that is provided by Nikeplus and I am determined to make this happen.

No more excuses...Just do it!

2 comments:

  1. Hard to believe but true, as my first thought when you mentioned running was "seriously" but one never knows with our Kimmy
    and I am totally proud of you. You can "just do it" for sure. Keep it up Kim.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have all the faith in the world that you can do it. You can do anything you set your mind to. You've proved that to me time and time again. Love you babe.

    ReplyDelete