Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Minus My Appendix

So I am now missing an organ! Yes my appendix is no more, after having to have it taken out on Wednesday January 20th. It all started with my bi-weekly infusion on Tuesday afternoon. I was at my appointment talking to the doctor about how my right side was hurting and it had hurt the last night when I would sleep on my right side. He started pushing around and mentioned it could be my appendix and I should go see my family doctor if it worse.

Well, on the way home my from Seattle my side started to hurt even more. Then every bump we hit made it hurt even more. So when I got home Jimmy took me to the walk-in clinic and they did the ever so fun test of hitting the bottom of my right foot. The tears came on and we were told to go to the ER. First they were going to give me 3 shots in my butt of liquefied pain pills to help with the pain on the ride down and while I would have to wait at Good Sam.

We got down to GS and my Dad met us their as he was with me at the first Dr. and knew what was going on. 2 and 1/2 hours later they called me back and I was finally going to see a Dr. As soon as he came in I knew I wasn't going to like him, and when he made me cry from pushing in the same area three times, each one a little harder, I told my Dad I wanted a new one. He talked to the nurse and the Dr. soon returned to apologize. I explained to him that I deal with a lot of doctors and I would appreciate it if he would have a better bed side manor and explain to me what he is doing and why before increasing the pain.

After cat scans, ultrasounds, and lord knows how much morphine, they decided although the tests didn't look like my appendix was irritated they would admit me anyway. 12 hours after we got to GS I was in my room and seeing the surgeon. He told me he could take it out that day at 10:30. That meant I had about an hour till they would come and get me to prep for it. Jimmy and my Dad went home and Jimmy was going to try to get back before I went in. He didn't make it but I was on so much pain medication I was ok with it. After surgery I woke up and they told me the appendix was slightly swollen and the veins were swollen so they think I was in the beginning stages of appendicitis. All that was fine and dandy as long as the pain went away.

I stayed one night and then was released home on Thursday morning. At first I was still in pain and had some bad nausea but by Saturday I was full on sick. Throwing up, sweats, chills and horrible stomach pains. I missed the first party for my Grandmas 90th birthday as I just couldn't muster up the ability to go. 3am Sunday morning I was once again throwing up and my stomach hurt so bad I was in tears. Jimmy called my dr on call and when they called back they said I needed to go back to the ER.

We headed that way, me with a bowl on my lap, and got to Good Sam about 3:30 am. This time I got right in and saw the doctor very quickly. They shot me up with some more pain meds and took me in for an X-ray then another cat scan. Nothing seemed to be wrong so they told me sometimes your body doesn't react well to having an organ taken out and can make you sick. Informed that it could last a week, I decided to follow my doctors suggestion and take the next week of work so I could just rest and let my body heal. Needless to say it is Wednesday of that week and I am still getting nausea and headaches. Ready for it all to end so I can resume my normal life!

No comments:

Post a Comment